Thursday, March 5, 2009

I remember...
dark green water and pale summer sun
fast silver slide you and I clung
to hot metal rungs.
Ice cream bells,
bikes, sticky fingers shy glances
swingsets in sand, brown cottages
the video store, beach dances.
Velvet moon, splintered dock

four shoes, don't drown!
jumping for the up
because you'll never be down.
See you around?

I recall...
wind in the cab and two door pickups,

fast driving fast music and fast food hiccups.
Giggling and soundtracks over

state line leaping, feelings seeping?
it was just sleeping
but wake up, up, I'm back up!
I missed you under the ice cream bell.

I reminisce...
different scene, different time, how much time since last?
Steel train, cold night, cement steps
Same moon.
Big city, country kid, with
Cigarettes, apartments, our frosted breath
cheap booze.
Summer's coming again,
See you soon!

But I can't forget...
a long drive, state line, and blindside.
Time has elapsed, but our years are on my mind.
Believe that I tried
phone calls and stars, basements,
beach walks and sunrise.
Dirt roads are for fourwheeling
And ice cream is for eating.
But I'll let mine melt on my hand and the sand
while you keep on swinging.
I'm singing,
but threes a crowd, and hugs are for
goodbyes and friends and trees.
Let go please

the drive is long so this can't be.

Even though it's sticky and melts away like morning dreams
I'm still fond of summer, bells, and ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment